Science on the Square
Friday10/126:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Click an event time to add to your calendar
This Friday night bash will take place on the capitol square in downtown Madison. Explore dozens of venues at your own pace.
Museums, pubs, restaurants, stores and more will host #WiSciFest events, including informal science talks or demonstrations, tastings, stargazing, hands-on activities and more. Look for the festive lights and balloons to find science fest events.
Don’t miss Beesly, the science festival mascot, at the Pollination Promenade starting at 7:30 p.m. at the Madison Children’s Museum. And, be sure to hop on the Improv-Science Trolley to get around to the different venues and perhaps even share a few laughs with some unscripted scientist interviews! There will even be science art decorating the sidewalks created by local artists.
Venues and activities include:
- Madison Children’s Museum (event headquarters): Free Family Night
- Wisconsin Historical Museum: Flavor of Wisconsin (5-9 p.m.)
- Madison Gas & Electric: Test Your Energy Knowledge
- Brocach Irish Pub and Whiskey Den: Stouts and sounds – Electronic music paired with a perfect pint of Guinness
- Square Wine Co: Pet Nat Party – A global tasting of seven different “pet nats” (6-8 p.m.)
- Fromagination: Cheese Flavor – The Art and Science
- Colectivo: Express Science
- Madison Central Library: Wisconsin Book Festival Talks: Science on Paper (6 p.m.) & The Radium Girls (7:30 p.m.)
- Wisconsin ESL Institute (WESLI): Hello, World!
- Camera Co. Peering into the Microcosmos
- Clary’s Popcorn: Pop to the Top @ Clary’s
- Parthenon Gyros: Sip and Stargaze at Parthenon Gyros with UW-Madison Astronomy (8-10 p.m.)
- Madison Children’s Theater, Overture Center for the Arts (Playhouse Gallery): Beyond “Charlotte’s Web” with CTM and Aldo Leopold Nature Center
- Madison Museum of Contemporary Art: Create Art with Science
- Boulder’s Climbing Gym (weather permitting): The Science of Rock Climbing
- VomFass: Vom Fass Balsamic Vinegars, Oils, Spirits and Liqueurs Tasting
- Improv-Science Trolley
- Pollination Promenade (7:30 p.m.)
- SciArt on the Square: Check out science art by local artists scattered all around the square and chat with artists as they do live chalk drawing!
- Earn Your Light-Up Bee Antennae!: Simply snap a picture with our mascot, Beesly, and tag #WiSciFest. Show the photo to the event staff at Colectivo, Overture, Children’s Museum, or the Historical Museum to earn your antennae! (While supplies last)
MG&E electric vehicles will be on display on the intersection of State St. and the inner square. Downtown visitor information provided by the Downtown Madison Central Business Improvement District.